celebrate

I am going to do something out of the ordinary for me. I am going to celebrate my accomplishments. In a way, blogging about them is a way of celebrating, it acknowledges them. It puts them out in the open. Truthfully, I do not know why I avoid opening up about what I have overcome. In many ways, it feels odd to do so. Anyways, here it goes.

The first accomplishment that comes to mind is my recovery. For a while, I did not think I would make it to eighteen. Growing up was not something I thought I would experience. Now, at eighteen, I have started my senior year of high school and I am starting college applications. How crazy is that? Looking at the facts, I should be proud of freeing myself from an eating disorder. According to the National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA) "young people between the ages of 15 and 24 with anorexia have 10 times the risk of dying compared to their same-aged peers." Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. And I made it through. 

My next accomplishment is not as big as the previous, but it still deserves to be shared. This one is about my perfectionism, and I am still working on it. While creating art and completing schoolwork, my perfectionistic tendencies affect me quite a lot. My main thoughts revolve around being incapable of being good enough. But what is "good enough"? Is there such a thing? I have to remind myself perfection is not necessary to be good. There is more to life than being perfect.

These two accomplishments will be it for today. More will come, this is just the start. I deserve to address and celebrate the things I have overcome in the pas3t couple of years. I can do so much more!

Comments